JULIAN MCMAHON ITALIAN FORUM

Premonition Recensioni (spoiler), recensioni sul film dai media internazionali - può contenere spoiler

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 5/3/2007, 00:07

Half Demon Girl

Group:
Administrator

Un'altra recensione sul film, ma questa volta assolutamente positiva :roll:
Un commento l'ho messo sotto spoiler, ma non sono sicura del suo significato... cmq non leggetelo.

CITAZIONE
Hollywood Buzz: Zodiac, Seven, Brad Pitt, Black Snake Moan, Premonition, Sandra Bullock
Written by: Megan Rellahan
March 02, 07

Finally, while we are on the topic of movies, I went to see Premonition a few days ago at the Sony lot and absolutely LOVED it! The story begins with a wife and mom of two girls (played by Sandra Bullock) who is going about her day when she notices her answering machine blinking. After listening to a strange message from her husband, which we (the audience) don't quite get, the doorbell rings.

Standing at her door is a police officer who informs Bullock that her husband (played by Julian McMahon) was in a fatal car accident. After the burial service, Bullock sadly falls asleep and the the next morning, she awakens next to her husband whom is very much alive.

Although I anticipated this flick being identical to GroundHog Day, it actually has much more to offer! This is a movie that has you thinking about it for a long time after leaving the theater. Within a story about repetitive days, which keep playing over and over again is a strong and powerful life message.
SPOILER (click to view)
In short, we cannot prevent fate and destiny from happening, however, we can alter things by how we live each moment within a single day. Thus, rearranging the way things transpire AROUND destiny.
Don't know what I mean? Go see this amazingly told film on March 16 and you'll get it. I promise, Premonition is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Fonte: Bayou Buzz.com (grazie a Cindy_Cupido per la segnalazione)

Questa Megan ha amato moltissimo il film, e giudica "Premonition" uno dei migliori film che abbia visto da molto tempo :hurrah:

website  Top
accipippi
view post Posted on 5/3/2007, 09:29

Accidenti che recensione!!!sono sempre piu' impaziente di vedere questo film :hurrah:

Yulianna
view post Posted on 5/3/2007, 17:45

questa recensione si avvicina di più a quello che ha detto julian quando ha definito il film un "thriller psicologico devastante"... :hurrah:
forse la prima recensione meno entusiasta era di uno che si aspettava più azione, sangue a fiotti e cose simili :D

mi piacerebbe tantissimo che premonition fosse davvero uno dei più film degli ultimi tempi, anche per julian :hug:

:hurrah: :hurrah: :hurrah:

lovecole
view post Posted on 6/3/2007, 00:49

Wow :woot: , non ho letto la recensione per il solito motivo :P ...però i vostri commenti mi fanno capire quanto il film sia bello. :)

naranja
view post Posted on 6/3/2007, 17:54

Questi pareri contrastanti ci lasceranno nel dubbio finchè non lo vedremo coi nostri occhi, ma sono contenta di questa entusiasta recensione... tutto dipende dai gusti, e noi abbiamo un motivo in più per gustarcelo image

view post Posted on 7/3/2007, 01:39

Half Demon Girl

Group:
Administrator

E' vero, i pareri sono contrastanti ma non so perchè io sono più incline a dar retta a quelli positivi :angel:

Ci sono altre due recensioni positive :roll:
Grazie a Cindy_Cupido di EOJ per entrambe :fiori:
Ho riportato gli spoiler nei punti in cui li ha messi lei perchè non ho voluto leggerli... non vorrei incappare in qualche rivelazione sulla sorte di Jim.

Al film è stato dato il rating B

CITAZIONE
Premonition - Movie Review
By Emily Groveman - March 05, 2007

Premonition, Starring Sandra Bullock & Julian McMahon

Sandra Bullock & Julian McMahon

Have you ever heard the phone ring and knew who it was before you picked up? (By the way, it doesn't count if you have Caller ID.) Well, imagine this: you wake up, get out of bed, gather your things and take the kids to school, just like any other day. But your routine is interrupted when an officer at the door informs you that your spouse has died.

You go through the motions of telling your kids and, though still in shock, realize that you have a funeral to arrange. Then you wake up the next day to find your sweetie sleeping beside you, alive and well. Was it just a bad dream? Or was it a glimpse of something that is about to happen… a "premonition?"

This is the unlikely situation in which Linda Hanson (Sandra Bullock) finds herself in German director Mennan Yapo's latest film, Premonition. Hanson learns that her husband, played by Julian McMahon,
SPOILER (click to view)
died in an accident; the next day, she finds him alive. She eventually realizes that she is living the days of her life out of order, and that these premonitions might give her a chance to keep her family together by saving her husband from an untimely death. But, as one premonition leads to another, Sandra Bullock's character becomes increasingly aware of hidden facets to her husband's life. Therein lies the conundrum she must deal with as she struggles between her love for her husband and her disdain for his secret life. Does she use her great premonition for good or simply let the gift of future knowledge fall by the wayside?

As a great admirer of the time travel genre, I was excited to experience Premonition. However, different from the greats, like Memento, Back to the Future, and The Time Machine, one of the challenges I endured with Premonition was that at its conclusion, I was unsure exactly how Sandra Bullock's character was receiving this premonition.
SPOILER (click to view)
Was Linda actually going to the future to live one day, then back to the past to live another, then back to the future, and so on? Or was it more as in Memento, in which the actual events of the film did progress in normal chronology, yet were presented out of chronological sequence as some eccentric, yet genius technique to beautifully illustrate the mysterious plot?
At the end of the film, I found myself wondering; yet, after further reflection, I've come to feel more confident in my belief as to the answer. Perhaps this is the great mystery of Premonition.

The cast of this psychological thriller does not disappoint. Kate Nelligan is wonderful as Linda's mother,
SPOILER (click to view)
Joanne, who tries to help Linda cope with the loss of her husband, though she clearly does not understand what her daughter is going through.

Julian McMahon balances Bullock nicely, and the two have great chemistry on screen. Nia Long (Annie) and Peter Stormare (Dr. Norman Roth) also give strong supporting performances.

Sandra Bullock delivers a convincing performance as Linda, demonstrating her range as an actress (this is quite a stretch from her popular Miss Congeniality films). The audience empathizes with Linda and shares her frustration as she tries to put together the pieces of this complicated puzzle:
SPOILER (click to view)
Who is the strange woman who appears at her husband's funeral? She knows Linda, but Linda has never seen her before in her life. How did she get a prescription for Lithium from a doctor that she's never met? And what happened to Linda's daughter, whose face is marred by horrifying stitches?
Bullock makes even the most impossible situations seem entirely believable.

The script, written by Bill Kelly, is a unique departure from a typical psychological thriller. It is suspenseful without being laden with guts and gore. The element of time-play is interesting, because unlike other films that are told out of chronological order, such as Memento, the sequence of days in Premonition is seemingly completely random. While this device is not as successful as it is in other films, it at least serves to heighten the suspense and keep viewers on the edge of their seats.

The ending may not leave you completely satisfied, but you will be thinking about the events of Premonition long after you leave the theater.

Premonition
Rated PG-13. Runtime 97 min. Theatrical release 3/16/2007.

PR.com Rating: B

Fonte: PR.com

E la seconda recensione, wow... rating 9.5 :D

CITAZIONE
Premonition

Written by Bill Kelly and directed by Mennan Yapo, Premonition begins with Linda, a content wife and mom of two girls (played by Sandra Bullock), who is going about her day when she notices her answering machine blinking. After listening to a strange message from her hubby, Jim (played by Julian McMahon), which we, the audience, don't quite get, the doorbell rings.

SPOILER (click to view)
Standing at her door is a police officer who informs Linda that her husband was in a fatal car accident. After the burial service, Linda sadly falls asleep, holding Jim's photo, and the next morning, she wakes up to find her husband very much alive, eating breakfast in the kitchen.

Shaken up by her dream, Linda continues going about her daily routine, only to realize that she is reliving the exact same day before her husband is pronounced dead.
However, although I anticipated this flick to be identical to Groundhog Day, it actually introduces a whole new twist or two!

Premonition is a flick that has you thinking about its plot for a long time after leaving the theater. Within a story about repetitive days, which keep playing over and over again, is a strong and powerful life message. In short, we cannot prevent fate and destiny from happening, however, we can alter things by how we live each moment within a single day; thus, rearranging the way our life transpires AROUND destiny. Don't know what I mean? Go see this amazingly told film on March 16 and you'll get it.

Premonition is about change, acceptance, and stepping out of familiar routines in order to fully live!

Written by: Megan Rellahan

Reviewers Rating: 9.5
Reader's Rating: 0
Reader's Votes: 0

Source: The Celebrity Cafe

website  Top
Yulianna
view post Posted on 7/3/2007, 12:22

fantastico... non sto più nella pelle :hurrah:
9.5 mi sembra un rating altissimo :woot:
la seconda recensione è la stessa che avevi già postato il 5 marzo, il sito è diverso ma l'autrice è sempre lei :)

naranja
view post Posted on 7/3/2007, 20:35

Dopo aver visto la scena nella doccia in full screen, io gli darei 10 :hurrah:

accipippi
view post Posted on 9/3/2007, 14:58

CITAZIONE (naranja @ 7/3/2007, 20:35)
Dopo aver visto la scena nella doccia in full screen, io gli darei 10 :hurrah:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

view post Posted on 13/3/2007, 08:27

Half Demon Girl

Group:
Administrator

Altre due recensioni, questa volta negative... hanno dato al film due stelle :sorry:
Ho idea che sarà un film controverso, piacerà e non piacerà a seconda dei gusti, ma temo che non otterrà un gradimento universale. :?:

CITAZIONE
Movie Review: Premonition
Written by Gerald Wright
Published March 11, 2007

This eerie, time-bending, emotionally charged thriller stars Sandra Bullock as Linda Hanson, a suburban housewife who lives in a great home with two little girls and a hard working husband. Life is ordinary except for the lack of sparks between Linda and her husband Jim (Julian McMahon). One day she receives terrible news that her husband has died in a car accident. Or did this really happen? Because the next day she wakes up and finds Jim lying beside her in bed and very much alive.

SPOILER (click to view)
Linda believes this is only a bad dream, but this dream re-occurs; some days she wakes up and he is alive and other days he is dead and she is attending the funeral with other mourners. The mourners include her best friend Annie (Nia Long) and her mother, Joanne (Kate Nelligan), who give her moral support even when Linda's ravings and confusing actions tend to validate that she has lost her mind.

This series of puzzling and time-altering events turns Linda's world upside down as the surreal circumstances lead her to find out that her perfect world isn't what it appears. Sandra Bullock really shows her dramatic strength in this bewildered character. As more and more time and events change in Linda's life, she envisions Jim having an affair with his assistant Claire (Amber Valletta) and she desperately tries to save her family by racing against time and fate to preserve what she and Jim have in life.

By writing down the events in a daily sequence, Linda tries to alter the order of things to come. Can she really change what life has in store for her?

To understand the plot, you must understand the word premonition which comes from the Latin pramonere, meaning to forewarn, to warn in advance, or a hunch. Precognition, as described by Dr. Richard Broughton of the University of Northampton, Great Britain (the parapsychologist consulted for this film), is a type of sixth sense, as in an extrasensory perception of a future event. Another consultant on this film is physicist Dean Radin (Senior Parapsycologist of the Institute of Noetic Sciences), who explains that there are two ways that precognition might work. One way is destiny (there is no way to alter the future course of events) and the other way is that the future is probabilistic, meaning there are an infinite number of ways that each event might play out.

This emotional thriller relies on Sandra Bullock's creativity depicting the confused and desperate woman and she does that very well, but the script is as mundane as Linda's life was in the beginning of the film. This film at best is only a standard suspense thriller. Sandra Bullock carries this film on her shoulders with a decent performance, but Julian McMahon is left out in the cold. His character is only given the amount of narrative that is needed to sustain the film. As a man suffering from the middle-age twitch of having another woman and being bored with his marriage, more detail could have been added. It is in bad taste to make a viewer wait 60 minutes for a film to develop and only get the remaining 30 minutes to enjoy. The climactic conclusion of this film was the best part — deserving two thumbs up — but the movie as a whole was marginal.

Directed by: Mennan Yapo
Run time: 97 mins.
Release date: March 16, 2007
Distributor: MGM/TriStar
Genre: Thriller/Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13

BlogCritics

(grazie a Cindy_Cupido)

CITAZIONE
Review: `Premonition' lacks foresight

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer Mon Mar 12, 3:18 PM ET

Someone connected with the psychological thriller "Premonition" should have been clairvoyant enough to realize that when you don't have a good finale, it doesn't pay to substitute two bad endings.

Starring
Sandra Bullock as a woman whose husband is killed in a car wreck one day but turns up alive and well the next, "Premonition" plays out too tranquilly in the early going to build much suspense.

The movie teases viewers with the promise of great twists or revelations, making the unsatisfying conclusion and epilogue all the more annoying. You're entitled to a decent payoff after sitting through a hushed, brooding tale of paranormal happenings, and "Premonition" simply does not deliver.

It's a shame, because Bullock is on screen virtually every moment of the movie and breathes far more soul into the role than her superficially written character merits.

Bullock stars as Linda Hanson, a passably contented housewife with two sweet daughters and a sturdy husband, Jim (Julian McMahon), with whom she shares an amiable if not terribly passionate marriage.

SPOILER (click to view)
One day, while Jim's away on a business trip, the sheriff comes knocking, telling Linda that her husband died the day before in a traffic accident. Life sucks for the rest of the day as family and friends begin the grieving process.

The next morning, though, everything is back to normal, Jim sipping his morning coffee when Linda comes downstairs to the kitchen. The next day, she's a widow again, heading off to his funeral. The day after that, Jim's above ground again, and so on and so on.

Linda realizes she's somehow living the days of her devastating week out of order, with mysterious little signs and paradoxes creeping up to clue her in on where she's at and whether she can head off the pending tragedy.

Her strange behavior initially is chalked up to shock by her mother (Kate Nelligan) and best friend (Nia Long). Linda's inability to remember where the nasty scars came from on her oldest daughter's face prods her loved ones to call in a shrink (Peter Stormare) for fear she may be a danger to the kids.

Director Mennan Yapo and screenwriter Bill Kelly take cheap license with the story's internal logic, simply ignoring the chronology of events at times if it does not fit their aims.

SPOILER (click to view)
Physical manifestations of events from the previous days Linda has yet to live would have had to be there at the opening of the story, which is day one from her perspective but objectively the middle of the tale.

But that would have tipped Linda — and the audience — that all is not right from the very beginning.
Rather than thinking the story through better, the filmmakers just figure no one will notice enough to care.

"Premonition," released by Sony's TriStar Pictures, is rated PG-13 for some violent content, disturbing images, thematic material and brief language. Running time: 97 minutes. Two stars out of four.

AP Movie Review

(grazie a Shel)

CITAZIONE (Yulianna @ 7/3/2007, 12:22)
la seconda recensione è la stessa che avevi già postato il 5 marzo, il sito è diverso ma l'autrice è sempre lei :)

Aw... :rossore: mi scuso, ma per evitare di leggere spoiler sulla finale, non leggo le recensioni e mi limito a riportarle :rossore:

website  Top
Yulianna
view post Posted on 15/3/2007, 16:44

anch'io ho smesso di leggerli e poi mi rovinano il gusto di vedere il film
giudicheremo con i nostri occhi ... :ok:

view post Posted on 17/3/2007, 02:31

Half Demon Girl

Group:
Administrator

Questa recensione viene da una mcmahoniacs, Ally di MM. :D
La posto ad occhi chiusi senza leggerla, perciò non posso nemmeno occultare gli spoiler, quindi a vostro rischio e pericolo se volete leggerla...

Tutto quello che ho letto è la prima frase in cui dice che il film le è piaciuto :ok:

ALLY REVIEW

CITAZIONE
Well I am not sure what the critics wanted but as for me I can honestly say I loved this movie!!!! I just saw it this afternoon as soon as I could get away from school. fröhlich

I have to say that there was a point in the middle when I was not sure about it, there was some very emotional stuff to sit and watch. But by the end I was so pulled into it that I even forgot I was watching Julian...how is that for an overwhelming endorsement for the movie. Me who went just to see him forgot I was watching Julian. fröhlich

During the middle of it I am sitting there thinking that Julian must be nuts if he thinks this is a love story between two people, then I kept telling myself to just trust Julian's take on it and oh boy was he right!!!! What a beautiful love story it was and about how people can lose themselves and have the chance to find each other again.

The ending was not what I wanted but it was very much what I expected the minute we found out about this movie....then when Jim is on the phone leaving Linda the message that we hear at the beginning and stops saying there was someone else on the other line and it was Linda...I knew I was going to get the ending I expected.

Jim and Linda had lost site of each other like so many married people do and it was sad to see it but before it was all over they got back their love and their relationship, thus a very sweet love story about 2 people who had the chance to find their love again and OH BOY did that hit home with the romantic in me.

Sandra was absolutely wonderful in this, I just loved her, I now understand all she said about it being so emotional for her, I cried a couple of times.

I don't care what the critics say, heck if I did I would never have seen FF more times than I can count.fröhlich Julian was wonderful but then I did not go to this expecting to see Christian Troy on the screen the way many critics apparently did. I did not go to see Cole or John Grant or Victor, I went to see Julian and maybe that is why I was not a bit disappointed at all. No I take that back....I was disappointed that he was not in it a bit more, especially at the beginning and middle like I wanted him to be, but I was so proud to be a fan of his sitting there watching how wonderful he was...it was just something to experience and realize just what he can do.

I know I am not very objective because I do adore Julian so much but I really really did like this a lot, was not sure I was going to and have been dreading it a bit even so maybe that is why I am so taken with it.

I am seeing it tomorrow and am looking forward to it so much. It was just something to see.

I don't understand why the critics are attacking this so much, I have read tons of reviews and I guess I am not understanding what their problem is, I don't really care...selfish as this seems I only care that I loved it and thought the movie was just great.

The very ending of it, pleased me...yeah maybe a bit cheesy but hey I am in to cheesy sometimes.

website  Top
naranja
view post Posted on 17/3/2007, 13:42

Probabilmente il parere dei fans sarà più positivo di quello della critica :)

view post Posted on 22/3/2007, 00:45

Half Demon Girl

Group:
Administrator

Al diavolo le critiche negative, abbiamo qui alcune recensioni POSITIVE :D
Contengono spoiler, a vostro rischio e pericolo. :ok:
In una dice che Julian rassomiglia a Hugh Jackman :P

Dal National Ledger
CITAZIONE
Premonition: Sandra Bullock Film Delivers a Few Surprises

By Lady Liberty
Mar 19, 2007

I like Sandra Bullock well enough, and I certainly enjoy a good thriller. From its trailers, Premonition looked like might might have a few thrills as well as the type of twisted plot I sometimes enjoy (provided it's written well, that is). Besides, there wasn't anything else opening this weekend that I had any interest in seeing. That's not exactly an overwhelming rationale for seeing a given movie, but it was just enough to convince me to buy my ticket.

In Premonition, we meet suburban housewife, Linda Hanson (Sandra Bullock). Just like many women with the same job description, her days are filled by caring for her two daughters, Megan and Bridgette (Shyann McClure and Courtney Taylor Burness), and a nice home. Her husband, Jim (Julian McMahon) works hard to support his family. Unfortunately, the pair have also settled into a marriage that's become as routine and unsatisfying as too many of their daily tasks.

Linda in particular is conscious of the distance between her and her husband. But all of that disappears in one devastating moment when a local sheriff (Marc Macaulay) knocks on her door to tell her that Jim is dead. In many ways, the slow loss of passion in her marriage only makes Linda's grief all the greater. With help from her mother Joanne (Kate Nelligan), Linda pulls herself together just enough to tell her daughters that Daddy isn't coming home. After that wrenching chore, Linda tries to find some solace in the memories of the once joyful union between Jim and herself.

Grief and exhaustion eventually overtake Linda's sensibilities and she falls asleep. Her escape is only too brief; when she wakes up, she instantly recalls that her husband is dead and she begins her suffering all over again. Because she knows that there are decisions that must be made and things that need to be done whether she's ready for them or not, she looks first for her mother. Joanne, however, is not to be found. Linda goes from room to room until she's shocked to the core by discovering not her mother but her very much alive husband!

As real as her memories are, Linda comes to the perfectly natural conclusion that she's had a particularly vivid dream. While she once again immerses herself in her daily routine, strange moments of deja vu begin to jar her emotions and jog her memories of the nightmare she's now sure she's had. Before she can shake off her feelings of confusion and doom, she wakes to another day only to find that Jim really has been killed and that she once again must pick up the pieces and find a way to go on.

It's awful enough, of course, that Linda starts to think she must be going crazy simply because she's been possessed by dreams that are so real they vie with reality in her memories. But when her best friend, Annie (Nia Long), her mother, and a co-worker of her husband's (Claire, played by Amber Valletta) begin to remind her of things she's said or done that she can't recall, she's almost certain that she's insane. Linda seeks help from a variety of sources including a priest (Jude Ciccolella) and a psychiatrist (Peter Stormare), but in the end, she begins to believe that it's up to her to decide whether life or death will win out.

Sandra Bullock is a capable actress. Though I usually prefer her in comedies where her talents are considerable, she's done just fine in some more dramatic roles (including the Oscar™-winning Crash and the underrated The Lake House). Her growing bewilderment in this movie is subtly and skillfully rendered; her wild eyes give her otherwise calm visage the razor's edge look of a woman clinging to sanity despite all of the clues that might lead her to slip over the edge.

Julian McMahon (best known for his role on the television series Nip/Tuck) has just enough chemistry with his co-star that we can believe the pair truly did love each other once. His present wary distance from his wife is entirely believable. Meanwhile, the supporting cast is all fine in relatively small roles (though I'd submit that Peter Stormare is miscast — his hulking screen presence and slightly scruffy appearance don't say "reputable psychiatrist" to me at all).

Premonition is only the second major release effort for both director Mennan Yapo and writer Bill Kelly. Yapo gives an especially good effort. Aside from the entirely appropriate performances of the cast, there are some wonderful camera angles and pans and a few truly inspired edits. At least one critic has sniped at Kelly's script for failing to measure up to what may have been the definitive film for a growing genre of time-jumping storytelling. In fairness to Kelly, however, I've yet to see any film of this type measure up to the brilliant Memento and I thought his script was perfectly fine.

There's nothing in Premonition that stands out in such a way that audiences will simply have to see this film. But there are redeeming qualities, too, including decent performances for characters you'll care at least something about, and a script with enough twists and turns that you'll enjoy at least a few surprises. It could very well be on any other weekend you'd choose to see some other major release. But if you decide to spend your money on a ticket for Premonition this week, you won't have wasted the money.

FAMILY SUITABILITY: Premonition is rated PG-13 for "some violent content, disturbing images, thematic material, and brief language." There are some uncomfortable moments in Premonition that range from a troubled marriage to an accident scene to...well, I won't spoil it for you, but it's fair to say that these and other moments of "thematic material" aren't suitable for young children. The initial confusion inherent in a script like this one also requires a more mature audience to appreciate or even to follow. I'd suggest that Premonition is probably fine for those of about age 14 and up, though I suspect that teen boys of any age are going to be less thrilled with the film than will their female contemporaries. I actually think this movie might best be seen by couples who can't possibly be hurt by a reminder of how an overt appreciation for each other is necessary to keep even the most loving of relationships from withering.

Da Up&Coming Magazine

CITAZIONE
Movies are more meaningful, and generally, more successful, when there is a message behind the story that touches us as individuals and as humans.

Premonition does that.

Plenty of stories try to hone in on our spirituality - or lack thereof - and remind us to be better people who make better decisions.

Premonition does that, too. But the way it does it is ultra-confusing.
Starring Sandra Bullock as Linda Hanson, Bullock's latest role since The Lake House, Premonition's plot is interesting but complicated.

The story starts off happily enough when husband Jim Hanson (Julian McMahon) surprises Linda with their first home - a giant 1920's wood-frame house. Fast-forward 10 years, and the couple has two young daughters and the house is now a home. From there, the story quickly spirals into a confusing yet intriguing mental and spiritual puzzle.
A police officer pays Linda a visit to tell her Jim died in a freak car accident.

She is in shock. The camera gets fuzzy to show us she isn't thinking clearly.

Linda prepares to tell her kids the bad news and calls her mother (Kate Nelligan) and best friend (Nia Long) for support.
She mopes through the house, cries a lot and falls asleep on the couch clutching their framed wedding photo

She wakes up the next day, in bed, and walks down the stairs to discover Jim at the breakfast table, about to go to work.
It was all a bad dream, right?

Wrong.

The next day, he's dead again.

Then he's alive.

It makes you wonder why she would fall asleep at all.

Because Premonition is told in a Groundhog Day-meets-The Sixth Sense kind of way, each new scene was like a high-voltage jolt of mixed reaction - "what's happening this time?" coupled with "oh, not this again." The audience is never quite sure if the story is being told in the present or the future tense, or if Linda is reliving the same day in different ways.

Naturally, Linda is perpetually scared, confused and full of doubt. What day is it? Has so-and-so already happened or is it a dream? Is she going crazy?

Jim starts off lovable but winds up a much less sympathetic guy as it is revealed he has an adulterous heart. Add mysterious injuries, a mysterious doctor, mysterious financial motives - all these elements certainly add layers of tension and suspense, but viewers may find themselves getting dizzy and, like Linda Hanson, questioning their own sanity.

The only thing for sure is that Premonition is a chick flick designed to scare girls, but not too much.

The forward-flashback, future-present method of storytelling is certainly a different and curious way to get the point across, but it keeps butts in the seats until the end, and in this case, the story ties itself into a satisfactory ending.

Model Amber Valletta makes a few brief appearances as Jim's sexy coworker, and her career as a catwalk-strutter somehow taught her how to be a decent actress. It must be all that time posing for cameras.

Bullock and McMahon have an amazing onscreen chemistry, to the point where it is seems absolutely possible that they are actually married.
McMahon, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Hugh Jackman, shines in this role, and his movie career looks bright.

Perhaps since her marriage to chopper overhauler Jesse James, Bullock's roles are more maternal and complex than action and adventure. Bullock is certainly the acting rock and center of this film. Her character is almost unbelievably sympathetic and truly, Bullock didn't act the role of Linda Hanson - she was Hanson.

Although few critics praised or even liked the film, it tried to be unique. There were several unexplained and unexplored worst-case-scenario premonitions that unfairly evoked every ounce of pity and empathy for Bullock's character. Despite Bullock's strengths as an actress, the confusing, unfocused story line coupled with gaping plot holes ultimately sank Premonition in the eyes of critics nationwide.

(grazie a sjcjdm)

Da Fullerton College Hornet
CITAZIONE
Bullock is Back in Action

Avoiding a death in the family drives a new suspense filled thriller.
Summer Rogers
Issue date: 3/21/07 Section: Entertainment

"Premonition" is a great thriller that keeps the audience on edge, guessing and trying to solve the mystery before the heroine does.

The film revolves around stay-at-home mom Linda Hanson (Sandra Bullock), who, seemingly, leads the perfect life. She has a beautiful house, an attractive husband, Jim Hanson (Julian McMahon) and two beautiful daughters.

The film begins on Thursday, with Linda and her family going through their monotonous weekly routine. She drops the girls off at school, does the laundry, cleans the house, etc. However, this is no ordinary Thursday. That afternoon, a sheriff pays Linda a visit. He informs her that her husband has died in a terrible accident. Then the thrills begin.

The next day, which should be Friday, turns out to be Monday. Linda wakes up to find Jim alive and asleep next to her in bed. This transition leaves the audience confused at first, until it is established that Linda is reliving different days of the week to solve, and, perhaps prevent the death of her husband.

The cinematography is used to the advantage of the film. The cinematography perfectly transitions between days. It helps establish that each day is not in order and it's a different day for Linda to figure out what happened and what will happen next.

It's good to see Bullock back in a thriller, which she hasn't done since her film, "Murder by Numbers" (2002). She always knows how to play a woman of action. This was McMahon's second film after "The Fantastic Four" (2005). He is best known for his role as plastic surgeon, Dr. Christen Troy on the TV series, "Nip/Tuck." His character of Dr. Troy, the attractive ladie's man, is a total 180 from his character in this film, proving McMahon has the talent to transfer from TV to film.

Screenplay writer Bill Kelly has certainly made a name for himself with this film as opposed to his first screenplay, "Blast from the Past," starring Brendan Fraser. This plot was much more complex and sophisticated, not to say "Blast from the Past," wasn't in the least bit entertaining, it was just sophomoric compared to the complexity of "Premonition."

This was German director Mennan Yapo's first American film, which he did a tremendous job on. He perfectly utilized cinematography, lighting and music to emphasize the story and drama of the situation.

The culmination of Linda's premonition has a twist with a touch of sick irony and a life lesson: Sometimes things are just meant to be and people don't have control.

(grazie Onlooker)

website  Top
Yulianna
view post Posted on 22/3/2007, 15:01

CITAZIONE (Cole my love @ 22/3/2007, 00:45)
una dice che Julian rassomiglia a Hugh Jackman :P

Bullock and McMahon have an amazing onscreen chemistry, to the point where it is seems absolutely possible that they are actually married.
McMahon, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Hugh Jackman, shines in this role, and his movie career looks bright.

julian è meglio di hugh jackman :B):
spero che l'amazing chemistry apparsa evidente sullo schermo tra julian e sandra li convinca a fare presto un altro film insieme :D

sono contenta che finalmente arrivino le critiche positive!! sarà un caso, ma arrivano dopo che il film è uscito nei cinema... quelle negative chissà su cosa si basavano, magari non avevano nemmeno visto il film :angry:

73 replies since 15/1/2007, 01:21   2432 views